eBay Classifieds Group is an innovative leader in online classifieds. Our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities – whether it’s a job, an apartment, a sofa, a car, a concert ticket, financial services or new friends. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by crafting a world where people share more and waste less. People who want to connect and trade visit our sites because they’re fun, easy to use and built on trust.
About the team
At eBay Classifieds Group we are re-inventing the way we approach and tackle information retrieval and findability, to transform the way we connect buyers and sellers. As a global leader in online classifieds with major properties including Kijiji.ca, KijijiAutos.ca, eBay-Kleinanzeigen.de, Mobile.de and Marktplaats.nl; the solutions of the Finding Science (FiSci) team impact millions of users across the world.
As a Search Engineer in the FiSci team you will be instrumental in the execution of our vision, working closely with a specialized group of engineers, Machine Learning specialists and architects. Are you passionate about search technology and solving some of the toughest search problems out there ? Then this role is for you!
Your primary focus will be on building and evolving Search Profiling APIs to power our local markets with real time, lightning fast search intelligence capabilities. Some of these capabilities include: Dominant Category, Popular Attributes, Trending/Popular/Related Searches and Vision.
- Building mission critical search intelligence services
- Prototyping and researching solutions to problems as part of product discovery and scoping
- Productionizing ML solutions in Spark and Tensorflow collaboratively with ML specialists, and fellow engineers
- Refining, scoping and guiding requirements with product managers
- Presenting and communicating internally and sometimes externally at meetups and hosted events
- Active participation in continuous improvement of FiSci's engineering processes and infrastructure
- Mentoring and coaching more junior engineers and participating in code and design reviews
- Travelling within Europe and the United States to assist with technical integrations and search initiatives
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Computer Science or equivalent
- Validated ability to learn new problem domains and technologies
- Proficient in Java and Linux environments
- Strong foundation in Web programming and application data formats and protocols
- Well versed in micro-service architectures and concepts such as service discovery, chassis, bounded contexts, and load balancing
- Basic knowledge of Machine Learning concepts in supervised and unsupervised learning
- Comfortable debating ideas with others to arrive at sound decisions
- Professional experience in the eCommerce domain
- Previous experience developing search driven platforms and use cases at scale
- Professional experience with Scala, Docker and Python
- Proficiency working with Big Data & ML systems such as Hadoop/Spark & Keras/Tensorflow
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
We create opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse groups of backgrounds, perspectives and geographies. Being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are! We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about our Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/company/diversity-inclusion/
People are the heart of the eBay Classifieds business, and their health and well-being are our first priority.
We continue to monitor local government guidance and partner closely with medical advisors to determine the safest and best next steps for everyone. As a result, most teams are working remotely, with a few teams able to collaborate in person with enhanced safety procedures. We will discuss the particular case for your region during the interview process. As a general rule, interviews will be completed remotely over video calls.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.