Senior Frontend Developer
Gumtree Australia is Australia’s favourite local marketplace connecting buyers and sellers in the local community to buy, sell and find just about everything. There are more than 3 million listings across hundreds of categories and 80,000 new ads are posted every single day.
On average, more than 7 million Australians visit Gumtree each month, and we’re proud to say we’re one of the top shopping apps in Australia.
Facilitating successful and safe local trade is our main priority. Our mission is to empower people and create economic opportunity and to be Australia’s favourite local marketplace for all of life’s needs
We are looking for a Frontend developer to join the Gumtree Australia team in Sydney! As a Frontend developer, your primary role is to design, develop, test and deploy our front-end applications. You will also work with delivery leads, other developers, product managers, QE, and operations team to develop solutions that drive our business goals, delight our customers and deliver good performance, scalability, and reliability.
To be successful in this role, you would require deep knowledge of the architecture of internet-based applications including but not limited to tuning the organisation and execution of the payloads we deliver to the browser. This position will work on a variety of web performance areas covering the spectrum of front-end performance.
Who you are:
- You have an understanding of the architecture of front-end applications and have an experience in mentoring and coaching junior engineers.
- You like to tackle performance issues at the web browser level and understand how to measure and improve website performance.
- You have some exposure to web speed testing tools like Web Page Test, Lighthouse, SpeedCurve or other similar tools.
- You also have experience with CSS pre-processors like Sass or LESS and/or CSS-in-JS frameworks like Styled components or Emotion.
- You are familiar with bundlers like Webpack, Parcel, or similar.
- You're familiar with the npm ecosystem and publishing processes.
What we offer:
- Meaningful work with diverse, international, highly skilled and passionate teams which give you the chance to make a difference in our customers’ lives.
- International career opportunities throughout Adevinta*.
- Competitive compensation, conference & education budget. We value your personal and professional development.
- A healthy work-life balance, i.e. part-time work, an additional paid parental leave time, flexible working hours including working from home options.
- A great atmosphere, open-minded company culture with several social team activities (online and offline).
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, Adevinta* offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
People are the heart of Adevinta*, and their health and well-being are our first priority. We continue to monitor local government guidance and partner closely with medical advisors to determine the safest and best next steps for everyone. We will discuss the particular case for your region during the interview process. As a general rule, interviews will be completed remotely over video calls.
*eBay Classifieds Group (eCG) is now part of Adevinta, an innovative leader in digital marketplaces spanning 16 countries. We’re all about matchmaking, and our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less.
As a global network of loved local brands, including Gumtree in Australia, mobile.de in Germany, and leboncoin in France, our team of over 6,000 employees are there to make things better, safer and easier for the people who choose to visit and use our marketplaces every month.