Director, Business & Reputation Comms
Director, Business Communications and Reputation Management
eBay is a global commerce leader that allows you to shape how the world buys, sells, and gives. You’ll be part of a work culture that’s been genuinely committed to diversity and inclusion since its founding more than 20 years ago. Here, you can just be yourself, do your best work, and have a meaningful impact on people across the globe. We are looking for people with drive, ideas, and a passion for helping small businesses succeed to help shape the future of eBay—does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to talk to you.
About the team:
We are responsible for managing, protecting and strengthening the company’s brand and reputation among key stakeholders. We play a critical role in eBay’s brand strategy, positioning the company as a global leader in the commerce revolution. One of our primary areas of focus has been to drive consumer brand consideration of eBay, activate a differentiated eBay brand, and bring the company’s Purpose to life. We are comprised of more than 100 people, globally, activating a modern, robust, and dynamic communications system that deploys cutting-edge tools, technologies and techniques to drive business impact. We are propelling eBay’s Purpose by elevating its Global Impact, highlighting how eBay creates a better, more sustainable form of commerce—where people are empowered, causes are supported and opportunities are open to everyone!
The ideal candidate must have deep media relations skills, demonstrates good judgment, is strategic and thinks ahead, is a strong writer and has proven expertise in crisis communications and reputation management. Understands financial transactions and business strategy, and can create media moments around major business announcements.
The role will lead the team’s day-to-day issues management, including daily reporter engagement, and will work closely with the policy and government relations teams around the globe, as well as others across the company to address complex issues. The person will also partner with investor relations and business development to lead communications strategy around quarterly earnings and other financial transactions. In addition, the individual will lead major business announcements, such as strategic partnerships, and have a deep understanding of competitive positioning.
Role requires a global mindset, and person who thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment where details matter.
Reports to Senior Director, Corporate Communications and is part of a strong media relations, executive communications, content, social, and experiential organization.
- Lead day-to-day crisis and issues communications for eBay’s corporate communications team
- Lead day-to-day financial communications partnering with IR and business development
- Lead strategy and execution of all major business announcements (such as new partnerships, strategic alliances, and shifts in company strategy) in partnership with the global markets organization
- Work cross-functionally to solve complex issues and rapidly respond to reporters
- Responsible for building and maintaining strong reporter relationships, reacting quickly and strategically to reporter inbounds, and working with reporters on a variety of topics
- Create written communications, blogs, releases, and messaging on issues, business partnerships, business strategies, and financial transactions
- Work with the social, content and executive communications teams to ensure 360-degree communications approaches to major moments
- Lead annual crisis preparedness simulation
- Own the crisis and issues management playbook and operational process
- Build strong relationships with teams across the company, especially IR, business development, GR and policy
- Manage agency resources and budgets
- College graduate with 15+ years of corporate communications experience, either agency or in-house
- Proven experience, confidence, and success dealing with members of the media
- Strong credentials managing crisis and issues
- High-quality writing and editing skills
- Understands the interconnected role of media relations, content and social engagement
- Strong business insight, sound judgment, professional maturity
- The ability to collaborate quickly and effectively across a large organization
- Proven ability to think ahead and be strategic
- Strong problem solver and project owner
- Due to the nature of crisis and issues management, requires the person to be readily available
- Excellent teammate who is inventive, committed to quality, smart, and hardworking
- Location: San Jose, CA
We love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work.. To learn about our Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: