Staff Backend Software Engineer
At StubHub, our mission is to bring the joy of live to fans globally. We're the world's largest ticket marketplace, and we make sure that the events where you want to be are never sold out.
Our engineering team is the motor that powers the StubHub platform. We are a diverse team of problem solvers that impact every aspect of our business. Just a few of the exciting things we do every single day include handling the data for millions of transactions, testing and deploying mobile applications, and utilizing machine learning to craft the best experience possible for our customers.
As a lead backend engineer at StubHub, you’ll be the hands-on engineer and leader who inspires our team to produce amazing systems that support our product and business. Reporting to an engineering manager or director, you’ll be responsible for working with your product manager counterpart to understand the problems we’re trying to tackle, driving the creation of a solution design, and being responsible for the team in executing. Our stack is primarily Java, and we’re moving from on-premise hosting to a PaaS-based cloud architecture. While this is not a people management position, we expect our lead engineers to bring out the best in other engineers, and help us scale by growing the technical capabilities of engineering as a whole.
- You will be responsible for the technical aspects of a set of our systems (commensurate with your skills and experience)
- Lead the creation of technical designs in response to business requirements
- Deliver consistently high quality software with your team
- Identify areas where technology innovation can be used to grow our business
- Grow our technical capabilities by guiding and mentoring junior engineers
- Collaborate with other technology leaders to develop standards, best practices and other tools that make us more productive as engineers
- Communicate and influence effectively with tech and non-tech stakeholders
- Eventually, augment your expert-level knowledge of our systems with a broad knowledge of all systems in our ecosystem
- An ownership mindset - we completely own our systems from the whiteboard to the cloud and beyond
- Leadership - you are a multiplier of engineering teams, and a trusted partner for the business
- Expertise in Java and its ecosystem (some tech we use: Spring Boot, Kafka)
- Lessons learned from migrating from legacy tech, monoliths and on-premise infrastructure to modern, PaaS-based systems hosted on cloud infrastructure (we use PCF and GCP)
- Experience building products with full stack technologies, and an excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures and algorithms
- A talent for influencing and collaborating with PMO, UX, PMs and other functions that help deliver an outstanding product
- Experience with Agile development methodologies, particularly Scrum
- A love of diving deep to confront difficult challenges across the organization
- An understanding of what it takes to build products that are deployed at scale
We expect successful candidates will have obtained the competencies above over a career of 8+ years of hands-on engineering experience, and a BS/MS/PhD degree in computer science or other related discipline
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: