Senior Corporate Communications Manager
The Role and Responsibilities
The Corporate Communications Manager will be responsible for telling eBay’s rich and complex story to our priority stakeholders in the UK, working to both promote and protect the reputation of eBay as a trusted marketplace through a combination of leadership communications, drumbeat storytelling, social media and reputation management activities.
To do this, the post holder will be responsible for delivering effective proactive corporate campaigns, aligned with the business narrative and objectives, targeted at media and corporate stakeholders, while also managing the eBay press office and handle local media issues, as well as EMEA level issues including tax, privacy and data law.
They will have the capacity to manage many global stakeholder relationships.
Corporate Reputation and Communications
- Work with Director of Communications to develop corporate reputation strategies for the UK
- Manage a drumbeat of business activity in local and national UK media, focused on our business objectives
- With the support of a corporate communications agency, manage a series of key activities throughout the year, including ultimate responsibility for the UK’s Retail Report and other data-driven communications projects.
- Build and maintain relationships with key media across corporate, business, consumer affairs, retail and technology – with the aim of creating & sustaining a strong, proactive profile in key media
- Manage all UK media issues, supported by press officers in the eBay press office, providing effective management by ensuring plans, processes, metrics and evaluation are in place – including being the ultimate backstop out of hours.
- Anticipate events that could be detrimental to eBay’s corporate reputation and develop response material for media handling. Effectively manage issues and crises in the media relating to eBay’s corporate reputation
- Ensure issues processes are in place and maintained
- Keep live watch on emerging Trust issues and communicate threats internally
- Be responsible for the ongoing development of all corporate comms messaging including an issues message matrix
- Brief, advise and counsel senior management and key corporate functions on media-related topics and communications issues, as appropriate
- Ensure relevant spokespeople are trained and kept up to speed with emerging issues
- Work in close partnership with European business communications, Government Relations, legal, seller communications, policy and eBay’s customer service support teams on key media issues, including issues that impact the UK but also span multiple markets
- Handle out of hours calls and sensitive media calls
- Ensure challenging internal metrics are developed to demonstrate success and put in place appropriate measures and plans to achieve them
- Execute leadership communications platform set out by the role incumbent, in partnership with the Director of Communications for EMEA.
- Execute and manage a regular drumbeat of leadership engagements for the UK VP and his UK leadership team
- Maintain leadership narrative and key talking points for UK VP,
Small business Communications
- Drive and develop eBay’s communications programme around powering UK small business, creating engaging campaigns that advance this agenda
- Responsibility for a series of key UK media events, including the UK eBay for Business Awards, Black Friday and small business program Retail Revival.
- Oversee the Identify opportunities to create advocacy among small business partners/stakeholders
- Create opportunities to communicate eBay’s leadership in omnichannel retail
- Develop relationships with key sellers & small business/trade media stakeholders – including end-to-end ownership of some key partner relationships, spanning the full comms spectrum (business, consumer & internal)
Comms team role
- Be an active member of the UK & wider European eBay Comms team by contributing ideas and best practice for other markets & comms partners, and supporting the global comms team on major events including company earnings.
- Work with Comms leadership (in Europe & the US) to identify opportunities to develop multi-market campaigns or stories that will promote or protect eBay’s reputation
- Enthusiastic and experienced media handler with ‘front line’ comms experience, borne through extensive media relationships
- Passion for the eBay brand & the (e)commerce industry
- Self-starter with drive for media results
- Trustworthy, with sound judgement and credibility in front of senior leaders
- Creative, inquisitive mind to grasp complex issues and challenges
- Capable of building strong relationships among a wide range of stakeholders
- Ability to assimilate new, complex business information
- Understanding of consumer and employee communications, and ability to align corporate communications and campaigns with wider business direction
- Comfortable in a fast moving rapidly evolving environment
- Ten plus years of experience in communications – preferably with experience in a high profile sector (retail, consumer goods, central government, political press, banking) a plus
- Demonstrable experience of issues management affecting corporate reputation
- Experience of working with senior leaders to create leadership opportunities building brand reputation programmes involving media and key stakeholder groups
- Ability to build a detailed understanding of the issues affecting eBay
- Experience of working in a matrixed environment
- A natural flair for news/storytelling coupled with excellent news and editorial judgement and an in-depth understanding of how the media operates
- Experience of supporting on litigation comms
- Practiced at managing risks and exploiting opportunities through the media
- Proven ability to write and strong verbal communication skills
- Demonstrable experience in orchestrating successful media influencing and contact programmes
- Ability to manage departmental budgets competently and in an organised and timely manner
- Experience of managing a large, proactive agency team
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: