Senior Back End Engineer
Gumtree, part of eBay Classifieds Group, is the UK’s leading classifieds site with over 14.5m unique visitors every month and over 9.5m app downloads. Founded in London in 2000, on Gumtree you can buy and sell everything from cars to home items and find jobs, local services, community events and even somewhere to live.
Based in beautiful Richmond, London, just by the riverside, you will join a diverse team of over 20 engineers, delivering value to millions of people every day. We work in an Agile environment in cross-functional squads, building features and constantly testing with our users.
What you can expect from us:
- A collaborative, informal, international and playful work environment with self-organised, multi-disciplinary Agile teams
- Managers and teammates who are invested in your growth as a engineer and as a person
- Working with modern technologies such as Java 8, Scala, Elasticsearch, NodeJS
- Access to tools and resources to be the best at your job (MacBook Pro, IDE of your choice, free drinks machine and a variety of other beverages, free breakfast and fruit throughout the day)
- Loads of other perks
As a senior backend engineer you’ll be relied on to independently develop and deliver high-quality features and finish tasks to a high standard. You’ll be part of an Agile team, together with QA, UX and front-end engineers, focussing on extending and improving our high traffic platform, while mentoring engineers around you, assisting in code reviews, hiring, maintaining and advocating strong development standards.
We’re looking for:
- Experience in Java development
- Experience in Scala or NodeJS is desirable
- Extensive experience in web development, delivering high performing, clean code
- Comfortable providing and receiving constructive criticism, particularly while participating in code reviews
- Familiar working in Agile teams and delivering software using Agile methodologies.
- Be a technical sparring partner for the organisation to help the business create efficient and effective requirements
- Flexible working patterns and occasional work-from-home supported.
- Full medical, dental and vision healthcare cover.
- Pension scheme.
- Life and disability insurance.
- Parental leave policy and Cyclescheme available.
- Networking, learning and global travel opportunities across eBay Classifieds Group.
- Regular Tech Talks, Hackathons and workshops.
- Phenomenal working environment with height-adjustable desks and Aeron chairs.
- Free breakfast, fruit, snacks, soft drinks, coffee and tea.
- Free on-site massages, yoga, pilates and fitness bootcamps.
We offer an exciting and meaningful role where you will have a phenomenal opportunity to influence your everyday life and work, and where you are part of an international company with colleagues all over the world.
Diversity and inclusion at eBay goes well beyond a moral necessity – it’s the foundation of our business model and absolutely critical to our ability to thrive in an increasingly competitive global landscape. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: