Principal Backend Engineer (d/f/m)
eBay Classifieds Group (eCG) is now part of Adevinta, an innovative leader in digital marketplaces spanning 17 countries. We’re all about matchmaking, and our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less. As a global network of loved local brands, including mobile.de and eBay Kleinanzeigen in Germany, our team of over 6,000 employees are there to make things better, safer and easier for the people who choose to visit and use our marketplaces every month.
The eCG Motors Vertical (MoVe) is seeking to scale our motors business to international markets, starting from Canada (kijijiautos.ca) followed by other countries and operates from our offices in Amsterdam, Berlin-Friedrichshain and Dreilinden. As part of the team in Dreilinden, you will have the opportunity to work on ground breaking technology and impact across all our markets by providing innovative capabilities for our platform.
As part of the product development team in Berlin Friedrichshain, you will have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge technology and have an impact across all our markets by providing innovative capabilities for all of our apps and sites. This is a great opportunity to work on a new, innovative product, and we are looking for you as a: Principal Engineer (d/f/m)!
Your Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the team's work with high-quality, well-tested and scalable code
- Ensure code quality and maintainability by evolving architecture and tech stack, code reviews, refactoring, standards and improving build and test systems
- Coach, guide and mentor teams on architecture and technology choices
- Collaborate with the other Principal and Senior Engineers on identifying, managing and minimizing tech debt in the platform
- Consult Product Managers, UX and stakeholders on the impact of product ideas and possible implementations
- Share architecture knowledge, findings and best practices with the teams and other architects within eBay
- Several years of experience as a senior/lead java engineer and or system architect
- Deep knowledge of Java, Spring Framework, web technologies and (non-) relational databases (bonus: node.js, react)
- Advanced understanding of design, implementation and operation of distributed services and APIs
- Passion for agile software development, product discovery and continuous deployment
- High aspiration for quality balanced with a good sense of pragmatism
- You understand quality assurance as a task of the entire team to build the best experience to the users
- Independently and quick adoption of new technologies and concepts
- Willingness to speak at conferences and engage in the community are a strong plus
- Effective oral and written English communication skills
What we offer:
- Meaningful work with diverse, international, highly skilled and passionate teams which give you the chance to make a difference in our customers’ lives.
- International career opportunities throughout Adevinta.
- Competitive compensation, conference & education budget. We value your personal and professional development.
- A healthy work-life balance, i.e. part-time work, an additional paid parental leave time, flexible working hours including working from home options.
- A great atmosphere, open-minded company culture with several social team activities (online and offline).
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, Adevinta offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
People are the heart of Adevinta, and their health and well-being are our first priority. We continue to monitor local government guidance and partner closely with medical advisors to determine the safest and best next steps for everyone. As a result, most teams are working remotely, with a few teams able to collaborate in person with enhanced safety procedures. We will discuss the particular case for your region during the interview process. As a general rule, interviews will be completed remotely over video calls.