Global Instructional Design Leader
This is a senior leadership role responsible for strategy and operations for global instructional design and leadership development for Global Customer Experience. The Talent Development and Instructional Design Senior Manager creates and evolves the strategy for the design of instructional interventions designed for customer service, with the goal of equipping teammates to deliver exceptional customer experiences. The strategy accounts for and seek to use the evolving tech landscape, including data analytics and AI. The senior manager is also accountable for the development of foundational work processes and clear roles and responsibilities for their team that are required to operationalize the strategy and deliver learning solutions. Their level of engagement in solution development and review is very hands-on, to ensure alignment with business objectives, across solution sets, and linkages to other supporting systems, including coaching, quality, and knowledge management.
In addition, the senior manager partners with HR and Global Customer Experience sponsors on the leadership development strategy for front-line and middle managers, and is accountable for the delivery of leadership solutions, including monthly leadership training, and recurring programs like emerging and new leader workshops.
Summary of Job Responsibilities
- Leads strategy and operational framework that delivers high quality, efficient, and effective learning solutions across a broad span of topics.
- Leads a team of onsite and virtual global instructional designers located in North America, Ireland, and Germany. May lead other managers.
- Personally is responsible for the delivery of leadership development solutions. Engages team designers and others to develop those learning solutions. Personally facilitates leadership development training and trains other trainers.
- Sponsors and leads leadership development and new hire training strategy and approach. All solutions seek to prepare our organization to deliver exceptional customer experiences. As such, the senior manager is expected to constantly innovate and improve our approach and also take into account methods that will deeply engage new hires in our eBay vision, culture, and drive high retention and satisfaction.
- Engages deeply in the business and learns GCX end-to-end workflows, key operational metrics, and strategic direction and initiatives required to deliver the most impactful learning solutions. Speaks first from a lens of business objective and outcomes, and applies learning expertise to ensure their delivery. May sponsor and/or lead strategic business initiatives.
- Anticipates future business learning needs and engage with business leaders to promote and influence use of instructional methods that will ensure a ready-now workforce. Addresses both new hire and ongoing development needs for teammates, team leaders, and coaches.
- Delivers on a set of learning performance metrics that demonstrate business impact.
- Represents Learning & Performance Support organization in transformative business initiatives with cross-functional and strategic impact
- Partners with the Strategy & Operations senior manager to create and enhance instructional design team processes. Actively identifies and creates global synergies and creates common operating processes.
- Generates solutions and leads continuous improvement initiatives that drive greater business impact
- Maintains knowledge and actively seeks out how the field is evolving, using technical advances like AI and data analytics. Challenges status quo and thinks creatively to deliver innovative solutions. Internally recognized as an expert in instructional design methodology.
- Participates as a member of the Learning & Performance Support leadership team. Contributes significantly to the organization’s strategy and operations. May back up senior director as needed.
- 10+ years’ experience leading instructional design and leadership development teams with a focus on creating experiential learning solutions (ILT, blended, self-paced, elearning, virtual, and mobile)
- Experience leading global or virtual teams
- Personal experience with design and delivery of leadership development programs. Understanding and application of core leadership and professional development topics, including leading others, communication, change management, coaching and career development, performance management, etc. 5+ years experience in a customer service environment, preferably global
- Significant experience creating and implementing learning strategy, ideally in a global customer service environment
- Possesses a highly specialized level of technical expertise within their field and business insight. Extensive breadth and depth of knowledge arrived through exposure to emerging industry advancements or complex business situations.
- Broad thinker that creatively problem solves and does not falter when encountering roadblocks.
- Strong business and performance consulting skills
- Strong influencing and change leadership skills
- Demonstrated strategic thinking capability that shows up every day
- Demonstrated ability to quickly build deep and wide professional networks and learn the business
- Committed to industry best practices; pragmatic application of best practices in a business environment
- Regularly participates in industry events
- Applies knowledge of emerging business needs to initiate and evolve learning strategy and continuous improvement for the function.
- Established, effective skills in leadership, critical thinking, innovation, networking, influence, change management, employee performance and business or L&D expertise
- Role models team leadership; inspires, engages, and motivates staff through individual coaching and development. Able to unite a team around a common vision and mission
- Experience with authoring and editing e-learning using Articulate Storyline or other software
- Familiarity with e-learning technical standards including SCORM
- Experience using learning management systems as part of your org's core technology solution, experience with Cornerstone a plus
- Experience using rich media production (audio and video) tools as part of your org's solution set
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: