Backend Engineer (d/f/m) - Trust & Safety
Founded in 1996, mobile.de disrupted the status quo of buying and selling cars with the first online vehicle marketplace, driven by the idea to create something new. As a driver of change for growth and innovation we became more than just a platform. We are an ecosystem of skilled and entrepreneurially minded people, a community to unite sellers and buyers. As the No 1 marketplace in Germany we closely cooperate with a powerful network of around 42,000 dealers and connect them with almost 17 million unique users per month.
We are seeking a professional individual to join our Trust and Safety team as a Backend Engineer (d/f/m).
About the team:
The Trust and Safety team at mobile.de is responsible for providing users with a safe and trustworthy experience. We are a cross function team with talented engineers and data scientists which responsibilities include:
- Fraud prevention and detection.
- Users' validation and verification.
- Customers’ ratings and reviews.
- Price predictions.
In the Trust and Safety team, you will have the opportunity to work with state of the art technology and have a direct impact on customer safety and satisfaction. You will work together with data scientists to bring machine learning models to production, you will work with Frontend engineers to bring consumer facing products live on site, and you will work with talented Backend engineers to build the backbone of our solutions. Most importantly, as part of the team you will join the noble fight against crime, abuse, fraud and malicious activity!
Your Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Build phenomenal products for our users in a pragmatic, agile, iterative, test-and-learn driven and scalable way.
- Maintain and improve existing applications.
- Write high quality, clean, maintainable and testable code.
- Ensure code quality and maintainability by evolving architecture and tech stack, code reviews, refactoring, standards and improving build and test systems.
- Collaborate with engineers and data scientist on machine learning products.
- Be an active partner for product management, UX and business, by providing the technical solutions for business challenges.
- Learn new tech- and non-tech related skills to grow yourself and your team.
- 2+ years of experience in Java development and Spring Framework, with strong motivation to learn Scala (previous experience with Scala is a plus).
- Good knowledge of object oriented programming, software design and design patterns.
- Proficient with client/server architectures using HTTP, REST and JSON.
- Previous experience with SQL and NoSQL databases (especially MySQL, BigQuery and MongoDB)
- Passion for agile (Kanban/Scrum) software development, product discovery, and continuous deployment.
- Will to learn new technologies and to collaborate with cross functions (Data Scientists, Frontend, UX, etc).
- Effective oral and written English communication skills.
- Experience and knowledge of the following technologies and tools are a plus: Apache Kafka, Graphana/Kibana, Google Cloud Platform, Elasticsearch, Jenkins, Docker, Airflow.
What we offer:
- Meaningful Work: We are a diverse, international, highly skilled and passionate team committed to a world where people share more and waste less. Every day you will have the opportunity to make a huge difference for our users, customers as well as shape the future.
- Flexibility: We believe that work is what you do, not where you do it. So we provide mobile work and flexible hours that gives you the autonomy, and scope to set your own working patterns and agendas. We empower our teams and people to decide which key moments they want to spend face to face, instead of fixing a number of office days.
- Work-Life Balance: Our people really do come first and we have lots of options for greater work-life balance including, four weeks work from anywhere per year, part-time work, and additional three months fully-paid parental leave time.
- Growth and Development: We are a global organisation who truly believes in growing our people. To support this we offer lots of development and training opportunities and provide a budget for our team members.
- Competitive Compensation: We know that our people are the key to our success and our compensation packages reflect this.
- Connection and Inclusion: Our culture is the glue that holds us together. We believe in making meaningful connections and creating an inclusive atmosphere with lots of opportunities to connect both in your day to day work and through social team activities (online and offline).
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, Adevinta* offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
People are the heart of Adevinta*, and their health and well-being are our first priority. We continue to monitor local government guidance and partner closely with medical advisors to determine the safest and best next steps for everyone. We will discuss the particular case for your region during the interview process. As a general rule, interviews will be completed remotely over video calls.
*eBay Classifieds Group (eCG) is now part of Adevinta, an innovative leader in digital marketplaces spanning 16 countries. We’re all about matchmaking, and our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less. As a global network of loved local brands, including eBay Kleinanzeigen in Germany, Marktplaats in the Netherlands, and leboncoin in France, our team of over 7,000 employees are there to make things better, safer and easier for the people who choose to visit and use our marketplaces every month.