eBay Classifieds Group is an innovative leader in online classifieds with ten brands that span the globe. Our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities – whether it’s a job, an apartment, a sofa, a car, a concert ticket, financial services or new friends. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less. People who want to connect and trade visit our sites because they’re fun, easy to use and built on trust.
About the team:
Classifieds is shaping the future of local commerce by bringing people together through an enriched online experience that allows them to reach out to the community around them. We are comprised of more than 1,000 people who are passionate for local trade and maintaining the customer-centric nature of the Group, while exploring growth opportunities in both the countries where eBay Classifieds Group already has a presence and in prospective markets.
Our strong local presence is backed up by a suite of global capabilities, built and maintained by central product and development teams. We are hiring to expand these teams with focus on our headquarters in Amsterdam.
We are currently looking for a senior engineer to be the technical lead and architect of the team that is responsible for the communication services that allow the customers of our global platforms to interact with each other. These communication services are in use by all our brands, from Canada to Australia and South Africa to Europe, and are essential for the end user experience. You will have the opportunity to shape the future of the communication capabilities of our platforms by working with a team of senior engineers in designing, building and running the backend systems that provide chat, email and mobile integrations. Together with developers and architects from all over the world you will design systems that have a massive impact on how millions of people interact on our websites.
To achieve your task, you will work together with a group of experienced colleagues. Together with them, you will perform code reviews and provide mentorship and assistance to each other when needed. Solving complex problems is your passion and you strive for simplicity and maintainability on all levels - not just in code. You see large refactorings of an existing codebase as a challenge for making things simpler. You understand the risk of your changes and can balance it against other constraints. You can see the need for changing priorities when the situation requires it and act on it. You initiate design discussions with other team members, present potential solutions to your peers, and understand the true costs and benefits of technologies you introduce.
You will work on large pieces of innovative technology that touch many customers across the globe. We are looking for you as a:
Your tasks and responsibilities:
- Own the architecture and technical vision of our communication services
- Lead technical discussions in the team
- Represent the team in the company wide architecture board
- Act as a technical consultant to the product manager, product owner and partners
- Contribute to the team's work with high-quality, well-tested and scalable code
- Ensure code quality and maintainability, and provide guidelines
- Mentor and coach your team members
- 5+ years experience in requirements analysis, design, coding and unit testing of scalable, distributed, fault-tolerant applications for the internet.
- Must have experience in developing highly available services.
- Must have very strong Java skills and skills in Spring.
- Must have working knowledge of Cassandra, Kafka, HTTP, SMTP, web servers, mail servers, application servers, SQL and relational databases, push messaging, SMS, XMPP or related
- Must have strong problem solving skills.
- High aspiration for quality balanced with a good sense of pragmatism
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
What we offer:
- A family friendly company
- Excellent workplace in Amsterdam
- Free snacks & drinks, subsidized Lunch in the cafeteria
- High team autonomy and agile environment
- Developer-grade notebook or desktop of your choice (Mac)
Looking to leave your footprint in global e-commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, and share anything around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven team that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join the eBay Classifieds Group.
We love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work.. To learn about our Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: