Sr. Developer interested in DevOps
About the team:
Classifieds is shaping the future of local commerce by bringing people together through an enriched online experience that allows them to work closely with the community around them. We are comprised of more than 1,000 people who are passionate for local trade and maintaining the customer-centric nature of the Group, while exploring growth opportunities in both the countries where eBay Classifieds Group already has a presence and in prospective markets.
Ask any Dutch internet users about their favourite Marktplaats story. Observe their excitement about the great deal they found or the interesting people they met. They have made Marktplaats the most popular site and the most downloaded app made in the Netherlands.
Marktplaats is part of Ebay Classifieds Group (eCG), and from our Amsterdam office we serve Marktplaats.nl, 2dehands.be/2ememain.be and Gumtree.
We are an international team (26 countries!) of passionate people who share a common interest in solving problems using software and data. We invite you to join us. This is a big responsibility; you will work on high-availability servers, improve customer experience through innovation, impact revenues and advance our team and technologies. In turn, we will work with you to grow your career in Marktplaats and eBay.
Your growth will involve our highly-performant and high-traffic systems. During peak hours, our site's per-second throughput is OVER 1000 searches (which makes us the second most-used search engine in NL), 25K images and 4GB of data; Marktplaats handles over 1 million unique visitors, 350K new advertisements and 155K transactions daily. On an average month, we get 140 million visits, which translates into 2.5 billion page views. But our users demand more, so we are constantly changing our platform to deliver the experience our customers love.
What you can expect from us:
- A collaborative, informal, international and playful work environment with self-organised, multi-disciplinary agile/lean teams
- Managers and teammates who are invested in your growth as a technologist and as a person
- Work with cool modern technologies such as Scala, Hadoop, Apache Spark, Elasticsearch, Apache Kafka, Consul, Node.js, React, Swift and Play
- Access to tools and resources to do your job (best-in-class laptop, IDEs, Safari Online subscription, conferences and meetups, all the coffee and soda you can drink, and much more)
- Ability to join and participate in multiple internal interest groups in Marktplaats and across eBay Classifieds Group in trending topics like DevOps, BigData, mobile development, and others
- Continuous Deployment through multiple environments to get rapid feedback about your work
- Work on some of the most beloved brands in the Netherlands, Belgium and UK
Senior Software Engineer interested in DevOps practices
We are looking for an experienced Software engineer with interest in solving big scalability and reliability problems in complex microservices architecture.
We are looking for expertise in several key technologies:
- Java or Scala expertises
- knowledge on HashiCorp stack: Terraform/Nomad/Consul
- Go knowledge is a pre.
Additionally, the experience of some of the following technologies is desirable.
- Elastic Search
- Dive deep into system and application performance and reliability issues; partner with software and systems engineers across the organization to produce and roll out fixes and improvements.
- improve our target architecture, by tackling architectural challenges of a multi DC and multi tenant application
- Troubleshoot issues across the entire stack. Solve problems relating to mission critical services and build automation and monitoring to help prevent problem recurrence.
- Engineering degree or equivalent work experience
- Good programming skills in one or more of: Java, Scala, GO and Python or willingness to pick up new ones.
- Experience with infrastructure automation tools and orchestrators (the whole Hashicorp stack, SaltStack, etc.)
- Expertise with monitoring frameworks (Grafana, Kibana, Prometheus)
- You feel ownership over everything you ship. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring and strong documentation.
- Experience troubleshooting Java-based server applications.
- Good on your own, but shine in a team.
- Able to prioritize tasks and work independently.
- Expertise in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Expertise with Cassandra Kafka and Elasticsearch
- Deep network analysis experience a plus.
- Strong Linux system-level analysis capabilities.
- Systematic problem solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive.
- Proven skill and passion for operational excellence.
From the moment of joining our team we aspire to make your employment experience an outstanding and engaging one. If you are enthusiastic and thrive in a collaborative and friendly environment, please apply and send us your CV!
Background checks are part of the hiring process.
Acquisition is not appreciated.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work.. To learn about our Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: