The eBay Classifieds Group (eCG) is an innovative global leader in online classifieds. Our sites helppeople find whatever they need in their local communities. Every connection made or item foundmakes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less. We have elevenbrands that span the globe offering online classifieds in more than 1,000 cities.
Our strong local presence is backed up by a suite of global capabilities, built and maintained bycentral product and development teams collocated in offices. We are growing these teams with afocus on our Headquarters in Amsterdam.
We believe that solving customer problems and delivering value to our business can be done at scale. As the Global Capabilities Team (CAPS) we offer our local brands a portfolio of capabilities along the end customer journey that speeds up time to market across the eBay Classifieds Group. Our global teams develop and innovate a broad variety of central solutions and services: Full integrations of back-office systems, central advertising, experimentation and real-time communication solutions, personalisation and performance APIs and algorithms as well as a central data infrastructure.
We closely partner with our local peers on efficient integrations of our capabilities that create valuable experiences for our end customers and the business. We are a diverse and highly motivated team. Data is the voice of our customers and helps us to define the common goals we work towards as one team.
Being part of the Core Chat team, you will play a crucial role in providing messaging solutions for millions of buyers and sellers in 12 different markets worldwide. On a daily basis, we process over 20 million messages. Not only is the Core Chat team responsible for making sure that these messages are delivered fast and reliable, also prevention of spam, fraud and other bad behavior is part of our responsibility. Making sure that we come up with ideas and solutions to help improve the trading experience on the platforms is another part of our mission. We are looking for you as a:
Java Backend Engineer (m/f)
Your tasks and responsibilities:
● Work with your development lead, other developers, product managers, QA, and operationteams to develop solutions that meet the service requirements and deliver goodperformance, scalability, and reliability
● Tackle real-world technical and scaling issues on a regular basis
● Initiate design discussions, present potential solutions to your peers, and understand thetrue costs and benefits of technologies you introduce
● Implement a sophisticated, distributed and highly available communication service in arobust team
● Rebuild existing platform using cloud technologies
● Collaborate with other team members and engineers
● Estimate your development efforts, plan implementations, and rollout system changes withinan agile/lean environment
● Passion for agile software development and continuous deployment in an autonomousenvironment
● 3+ years’ experience in requirements analysis, design, coding and unit testing of scalable,distributed, fault-tolerant applications for the Internet
● Several years of experience with JVM-based languages and Linux-based systems
● Solid understanding of distributed, NoSQL databases such as Cassandra
● Experience with public cloud platforms (specifically Google Cloud Platform) or big-data platforms is a big plus
● Familiarity with distributed computing and storage systems, and modern CI/CD approaches
● A flexible approach, balanced by solid experience in building a scalable service, is paramount
● Insight to see the need for changing priorities when the situation requires it and act on it
● An innovative attitude who can visualize/evangelize within the team about the strengths ofyour approach and carry your team members with you
● High aspiration for quality balanced with a good sense of pragmatism
● Effective oral and written English communication skills
What we offer:
● A family friendly company
● Excellent workplace in Amsterdam
● High team autonomy and agile environment
Looking to leave your footprint in global e-commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy,sell, and share anything around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven team that isdedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join the eBay Classifieds Group.
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.