Senior Software Engineer - Trust & Safety
Marktplaats in the Netherlands, and 2dehands and 2ememain in Belgium are part of the Adevinta Group*. The 3 brands are hosted on a multi-tenant platform, operated from our Amsterdam location and are the top players in the classifieds space throughout the Benelux region - with over 11 million monthly unique users. We run on both Android, iOS apps, and on the web.
For consumers, we offer people the opportunity to trade their unwanted products - contributing to a greener, circular economy. For businesses - of all sizes, from the smallest hobbyist to the biggest brands in Benelux - we offer a platform to showcase their goods and services online to a large audience - a hugely important factor which has helped contribute towards the survival of many businesses as they adapt to new online strategies in these covid times, and in post-covid paradigms of the future.xperience our customers love. We are a mix of Dutch and Silicon Valley cultures; like both, we are an international team of passionate people who share a common interest in solving problems using software and data. We invite you to join us!
About the team:
As a Senior Software Engineer in the TnS team you will be relied on to independently develop and deliver high-quality features and finish tasks to a high standard. You’ll be part of an emerging team, focusing on building and improving state of the art moderation solutions for our global Classifieds businesses, running on Google Cloud Platform!
- Design and implement a multi-tenant Trust and Safety solution which will run on GCP.
- Design system layers to support componentized and layered application development, including business functionality and database access.
- Take ownership of the project, work with other engineers, managers, product owner to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs.
- Build a high-performance, scalable, reliable solution consistent with development goals and principles.
- Estimate engineering effort, plan implementation, and rollout system changes.
- Independently design, code and test major features, as well as work jointly with other team members to deliver sophisticated changes.
- Identify technical areas for improvement and make business cases for them.
What we are looking for:
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Proven experience in design, coding and testing of related applications
- Familiarity with microservice design patterns, continuous integration workflows, and continuous delivery concepts
- Strong Software development skills with Java (Kotlin, Scala, Web Services etc.). Kotlin knowledge will help you get started even faster
- Experience with large scale systems
- Experience with public cloud, preferably Google DataFlow or Apache Beam, Big Query, Google Cloud SQL (Postgres) and Pub Sub
- Elasticsearch experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with containerization and IaC technologies (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes, Helm, Terraform)
- Knowledge of web services ecosystem including: REST, JSON, and HTTP(S)
- Comfortable providing and receiving constructive feedback, particularly while participating in code reviews
- Familiar working in Agile teams and crafting software using Agile methodologies.
- Be a technical sparring partner for the organisation to help the business build efficient and effective requirements
What we offer:
- Meaningful Work: We are a diverse, international, highly skilled and passionate team committed to a world where people share more and waste less. Every day you will have the opportunity to make a huge difference for our users, customers as well as shape the future.
- Flexibility: We believe that work is what you do, not where you do it. So we provide mobile work and flexible hours that gives you the autonomy, and scope to set your own working patterns and agendas. We empower our teams and people to decide which key moments they want to spend face to face, instead of fixing a number of office days.
- Work-Life Balance: Our people really do come first and we have lots of options for greater work-life balance including, four weeks work from anywhere per year, part-time work, and additional three months fully-paid parental leave time.
- Growth and Development: We are a global organisation who truly believes in growing our people. To support this we offer lots of development and training opportunities and provide a budget for our team members.
- Competitive Compensation: We know that our people are the key to our success and our compensation packages reflect this.
- Connection and Inclusion: Our culture is the glue that holds us together. We believe in making meaningful connections and creating an inclusive atmosphere with lots of opportunities to connect both in your day to day work and through social team activities (online and offline).
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, Adevinta* offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
People are the heart of Adevinta*, and their health and well-being are our first priority. We continue to monitor local government guidance and partner closely with medical advisors to determine the safest and best next steps for everyone. We will discuss the particular case for your region during the interview process. As a general rule, interviews will be completed remotely over video calls.