Senior Frontend Developer
Marktplaats in the Netherlands, and 2dehands and 2ememain in Belgium are part of the Adevinta Group. The 3 brands are hosted on a multi-tenant platform, operated from our Amsterdam location and are the top players in the classifieds space throughout the Benelux region - with over 11 million monthly unique users. We run on both Android, iOS apps, and on the web.
For consumers, we offer people the opportunity to trade their unwanted products - contributing to a greener, circular economy. For businesses - of all sizes, from the smallest hobbyist to the biggest brands in Benelux - we offer a platform to showcase their goods and services online to a large audience - a hugely important factor which has helped contribute towards the survival of many businesses as they adapt to new online strategies in these covid times, and in post-covid paradigms of the future.
You will work on our high-availability infrastructure, improve customer experience through innovation, impact revenues and advance our team and technologies. In turn, we will work with you to grow your career in Marktplaats
What you can expect from us:
- A collaborative, informal, international and playful work environment with multi-disciplinary agile/lean teams
- Managers and teammates who are invested in your growth as a technologist and as a person
- Work with technologies such as Scala, Java, swift, Node.js, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Cockroachdb and more in a fast-evolving Microservices architecture
- Possibility to work on all stages of the software development lifecycle: from design to implementation to release and monitoring
- Continuous Deployment through multiple environments to get rapid feedback about your work
- Work on one of the most beloved brands in the Netherlands
About the teams:
We aim to continuously improve our teams and product with a data-driven approach to measure the impact we are making. We have teams focusing on different domains of our platform, every one of them with their own dynamics and challenges.
What we expect from you:
The person we are looking for has extensive experience in software development in online or related areas, with at least 6+ years of full-time employment with knowledge of what it means to work with large and/or distributed systems. Furthermore, we need someone who lives and breathes Agile development, can focus on delivering, and wants to take a leading role in improving how we work.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Develop high quality, performant, maintainable and testable applications:
- React (with Hooks and server-side rendering),
- HTML5, CSS3 (SASS, CSS modules)
- Jest, Mocha, Chai & Sinon
- Node.js, Express.js
- npm, Webpack & Babel
- experience with Handlebars, Backbone, WebComponents and jQuery is a plus
- Find and help fix stability, scalability, performance issues, cross-browser compatibility, Web standards, and interoperability.
- Own major projects and features from design phase to coding, testing, delivery
- Have a solid grasp and experience with MVC and OO design.
- Competent using source control systems (Git)
- Self-motivated and have the ability to get things done
- Ability to come up with innovative solutions to problems, while also thoroughly considering edge cases and avoiding pitfalls
Your responsibilities will include:
- Be a key team member in development and design of new projects
- Coaching of junior and medior developers (guide them through architecture and procedures, be a mentor helping with skills development)
- Think with your colleagues about architecture decisions and help work them out
- Help to continuously improve development work in all areas (coding, processes, tools, testing, etc.)
- Be a technical sparring partner for the organisation to help the business create efficient and effective requirements
- Work with international counterparts across the worldwide eBay Classifieds Group
What do we offer?
Meaningful Work: We are a diverse, international, highly skilled and passionate team committed to a world where people share more and waste less. Every day you will have the opportunity to make a huge difference for our users, customers as well as shape the future.
Flexibility: We believe that work is what you do, not where you do it. So we provide mobile work and flexible hours that gives you the autonomy, and scope to set your own working patterns and agendas. We empower our teams and people to decide which key moments they want to spend face to face, instead of fixing a number of office days.
Work-Life Balance: Our people really do come first and we have lots of options for greater work-life balance including part-time work, and additional three months fully-paid parental leave time.
Growth and Development: We are a global organisation who truly believes in growing our people. To support this we offer lots of development and training opportunities and provide a budget for our team members.
Competitive Compensation: We know that our people are the key to our success and our compensation packages reflect this.
Connection and Inclusion: Our culture is the glue that holds us together. We believe in making meaningful connections and creating an inclusive atmosphere with lots of opportunities to connect both in your day to day work and through social team activities (online and offline).
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, Adevinta* offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
People are the heart of Adevinta*, and their health and well-being are our first priority. We continue to monitor local government guidance and partner closely with medical advisors to determine the safest and best next steps for everyone. We will discuss the particular case for your region during the interview process. As a general rule, interviews will be completed remotely over video calls.