Senior Data Engineer
eBay Classifieds Group (eCG) is an innovative leader in online classifieds with ten brands that span the globe. Our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities – whether it’s a job, an apartment, a sofa, a car, a concert ticket, financial services or new friends. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less. People who want to connect and trade visit our sites because they’re fun, easy to use and built on trust.
About the business:
Classifieds is shaping the future of local commerce by bringing people together through an enriched online experience that allows them to reach out to the community around them. We are comprised of more than 1,000 people who are passionate for local trade and maintaining the customer-centric nature of the Group, while exploring growth opportunities in both the countries where eCG already has a presence and in prospective markets.
About the team:
The First Party Advertising technology team (iCAS) is looking for a Data Engineer to strengthen the team. We are building an internally used advertising engine combined with seller tools, to deliver shopping listings to the multiple platforms we have within the eBay Classifieds Group. some of our complexities is the high traffic and volume demand, high uptime, handling click-fraud and optimising the listings being shown.
We do this through a technology stack mainly running through Go-lang based microservices, with eventing on Kafka, reporting on Clickhouse and Datastorage on MySQL. We run these services through Nomad on our own private cloud, and we handle the dev-ops activities such as deployment (Github, Jenkins), uptime (lot's of 9s), monitoring (Prometheus, Pagerduty, Grafana) and maintenance as well. Our frontend is based on NodeJS and Knockout. This stack is in constant evolution and flux to support growth as well as our own efficiency
- Up to 10K events per sec per service.
- System handling up to 5000 searches per second.
- Over 10m live Listings
- Serving the biggest classifieds sites in CA, DE, NL and BE
- End-to-end ownership of the seller's journey, from the shop around the corner to big retail brands
Your initial role in the team is to help in-house an externally developed auction simulation and auto-bidding engine based on Reinforcement Learning (Soft Actor Critic). You will take the lead on moving this from Proof-of-concept to fully integrated into our main product and infrastructure, together with the rest of the team of Backend and Devops Engineers (Go-based). Long term our goal is to expand on our Machine Learning infrastructure, as well as explore new venues on machine learning (either iterations or new possibilities).
We expect from you:
- BS/BA level of thinking and cooperation
- Experience with Machine Learning on large datasets.
- Experience with Software/Data Engineering on large data sets
- 4+ years of work experience in the field of data engineering/machine learning
- Proficient in Software Development (Python at least, lower-level languages are a pre)
- Willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques. Good leadership and communication skills.
- Participate in the on-call rotation together with the rest of engineering (we run what we build)
- A can-do attitude (sarcasm is allowed) and drive to solve problems for our partners and customers
What we offer
- Driven and passionate colleagues/team
- Technical and personal growth opportunities
- Office in Amsterdam, close to Amstel Station
- An agile and evolving development process, focussed on efficiently delivering value
- An occasional celebration
- An english-speaking environment
- Other benefits detailed below
If you are a good practical data scientist/engineer with affinity in both maintaining machine learning infrastructure and model development, come work for us! You won't regret it.
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
We love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about our Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/company/diversity-inclusion/
People are the heart of the eBay Classifieds business, and their health and well-being are our first priority.
We continue to monitor local government guidance and partner closely with medical advisors to determine the safest and best next steps for everyone. As a result, most teams are working remotely, with a few teams able to collaborate in person with enhanced safety procedures. We will discuss the particular case for your region during the interview process. As a general rule, interviews will be completed remotely over video calls.
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.