Senior Backend Software Engineer (SCALA / Java) - Interactions Domain
Senior Backend Software Engineer (SCALA / Java) - Interactions Domain
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Marktplaats in the Netherlands, and 2dehands and 2ememain in Belgium are part of the Adevinta* Group. The 3 brands are hosted on a multi-tenant platform, operated from our Amsterdam location and are the top players in the classifieds space throughout the Benelux region - with over 11 million monthly unique users. We run on both Android, iOS apps, and on the web.
For consumers, we offer people the opportunity to trade their unwanted products - contributing to a greener, circular economy. For businesses - of all sizes, from the smallest hobbyist to the biggest brands in Benelux - we offer a platform to showcase their goods and services online to a large audience - a hugely important factor which has helped contribute towards the survival of many businesses as they adapt to new online strategies in these covid times, and in post-covid paradigms of the future.
About the Team
You will be working as a software engineer in the interactions product development. The interactions domain is focused on the contact between buyers and sellers with a special focus on transactional services: facilitating payments between users, shipping services and more, to make the deal safe, worry-less and delightful for our users. Our platform has a micro-services based architecture, and you will be working in a multi-disciplinary team, with a Product manager, an Engineering manager, Back End Developers, Front End Developers, UX Designers, Architects, Android and iOS Developers, QA engineers as well as a Product analyst, and in collaboration with Business developers, Marketing and Customer Relations. We all work together closely to solve the biggest challenges for our users, for the product and our technology. We experiment often and fail fast. You will not only help us in development, but also in finding improvements, whether to our product or the way we work.
- Be a key team member in development and design of new products
- Coach less experienced developers (be a mentor helping with skills development)
- Collaborate with your teammates on architecture decisions and solution design
- Help to continuously improve development work in all areas (coding, processes, tools, testing, etc.)
- Responsible for the maintenance and stability of the backend infrastructure
- Be a technical sparring partner for the organisation to help the business create efficient and effective requirements
- Work with international counterparts across the worldwide Adevinta Group
What you can expect from us:
- A collaborative, informal, international and playful work environment with self-organised, multi-disciplinary agile/lean teams
- Managers and teammates who are invested in your growth as a technologist and as a person
- Work with cool modern technologies such as Scala, Java, Kotlin, Node.js, Apache Kafka, Elasticsearch, Cassandra and more in a fast-evolving Microservices architecture
- Access to tools and resources to do your job (best-in-class laptop, IDEs, Safari Online subscription, conferences and meetups, all the coffee and soda you can drink, and much more)
- Ability to join and participate in multiple internal interest groups in Marktplaats(NL) and Tweedehands(BE) and across Adevinta in trending topics like Machine Learning, AI, DevOps, BigData, mobile development, and others
- Continuous Deployment through multiple environments to get rapid feedback about your work
- Work on one of the most beloved brands in the Netherlands
What we expect from you:
The person we are looking for has extensive experience in software development in online or related areas, with at least 6+ years of full-time employment with knowledge of what it means to work with large and/or distributed systems.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to influence a multi-functional team to deliver results;
- Experience in backend development (Java and/or Scala)
- Experience in e-Commerce or high traffic/distributed systems
- Product and Experiment focused
- Preferably you have a degree in Computer Sciences or comparable topic.
What do we offer?
- Meaningful Work: We are a diverse, international, highly skilled and hard-working team committed to a world where people share more and waste less. Every day you will have the opportunity to make a huge difference for our users, customers as well as shape the future.
- Flexibility: We believe that work is what you do, not where you do it. So we provide mobile work and flexible hours that gives you the autonomy, and scope to set your own working patterns and agendas. We empower our teams and people to decide which key moments they want to spend face to face, instead of fixing a number of office days.
- Work-Life Balance: Our people really do come first and we have lots of options for greater work-life balance including part-time work, and additional three months fully-paid parental leave time.
- Growth and Development: We are a global organisation who truly believes in growing our people. To support this we offer lots of development and training opportunities and provide a budget for our team members.
- Competitive Compensation: We know that our people are the key to our success and our compensation packages reflect this.
- Connection and Inclusion: Our culture is the glue that holds us together. We believe in making important connections and creating an inclusive atmosphere with lots of opportunities to connect both in your day to day work and through social team activities (online and offline).
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, Adevinta* offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
People are the heart of Adevinta*, and their health and well-being are our first priority. We continue to monitor local government guidance and partner closely with medical advisors to determine the safest and best next steps for everyone. We will discuss the particular case for your region during the interview process. As a general rule, interviews will be completed remotely over video calls.
- eBay Classifieds Group (eCG) is now part of Adevinta, an innovative leader in digital marketplaces spanning 16 countries. We’re all about matchmaking, and our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less. As a global network of loved local brands, including eBay Kleinanzeigen in Germany, Marktplaats in the Netherlands, and leboncoin in France, our team of over 7,000 employees are there to make things better, safer and easier for the people who choose to visit and use our marketplaces every month.