Senior Backend Engineer (Java)
eBay Classifieds Group (eCG) is an innovative leader in online classifieds with ten brands that span the globe. Our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities – whether it’s a job, an apartment, a sofa, a car, a concert ticket, financial services or new friends. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less. People who want to connect and trade visit our sites because they’re fun, easy to use and built on trust.
About the business:
Classifieds is shaping the future of local commerce by bringing people together through an enriched online experience that allows them to reach out to the community around them. We are comprised of more than 1,000 people who are passionate for local trade and maintaining the customer-centric nature of the Group, while exploring growth opportunities in both the countries where eCG already has a presence and in prospective markets.
The central monetization teams play a key role in handling several revenue streams while enhancing the user’s experience on our platforms. The advertising ecosystem is very complex and all our local entities work with several technologies to monetise their content. It’s our responsibility to provide them the tools to balance revenue and user experience for sustainable monetization. All of this we do with multidisciplinary teams, working in an agile framework and in close collaboration with our local platforms and other global teams.
Your responsibilities / role:
We are looking for an experienced backend engineer to build up a team for more advertising innovation! You will partner closely with our data scientists, engineers and product managers to create scalable technology that enables local teams for advertising innovation.
- Improve our applications and APIs for the advertising environment to become better every single day
- Ensure code quality and maintainability by improving build and test systems
- Engage with Product Management, Design, Business and Customers
- Drive your own ideas for code and process improvement and achieve the next level together with the team, be involved in the whole development lifecycle from architecture to QA and deployment
- Passion for clean code and an eye for simplicity and pragmatism
- Strong programming skills in Java (5+ years)
- Experience with Java 11
- Experience with large scale systems
- Knowledge of Kotlin and or Scala is a plus
- Believer in teamwork and a DevOps mindset
- Experience with Continuous Delivery, Jenkins, Git and Maven
- Experience with cloud storage technologies (Spanner, Cassandra)
- Experience with modern deployment / Cloud environments (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, GCP)
- Analytical demeanor to understand business needs, and come up with engineering solutions
- Team player but can work independently as well
- Ability to mentor others in a field of expertise
- Ideally domain knowledge around Advertising, Analytics, Web-Performance
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
We love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about our Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/company/diversity-inclusion/
People are the heart of the eBay Classifieds business, and their health and well-being are our first priority.
We continue to monitor local government guidance and partner closely with medical advisors to determine the safest and best next steps for everyone. As a result, most teams are working remotely, with a few teams able to collaborate in person with enhanced safety procedures. We will discuss the particular case for your region during the interview process. As a general rule, interviews will be completed remotely over video calls.
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.