Senior Back End Software Engineer
Every month Marktplaats handles over 8 million unique visitors and 350.000 new advertisements each day making Marktplaats the largest online trading platform in the Netherlands. Consumer and professional sellers offer a large and varied assortment of used and new products. But we want to go even further - we are constantly changing our platform to deliver the experience our customers love. We are a mix of Dutch and Silicon Valley cultures; like both, we are an international team of passionate people who share a common interest in solving problems using software and data. We invite you to join us
About the team:
Classifieds is shaping the future of local commerce by bringing people together through an enriched online experience that allows them to work closely with the community around them. We are comprised of more than 1,000 people who are passionate for local trade and maintaining the customer-centric nature of the Group, while exploring growth opportunities in both the countries where eBay Classifieds Group (ECG) already has a presence and in prospective markets.
Sr. Back End Software Engineer
You will be an essential team member in development and design of new projects and will help to continuously improve development work in all areas (coding, processes, tools, testing etc). You will:
- Think with your colleagues about architecture decisions and help work them out
- Be a technical sparring partner for the organization to help the business create efficient and effective requirements
- Empower your team to be better at their work
- Mentor more junior developers (guide them through architecture and procedures, be a mentor helping with skills development)
- Work with international counterparts across the worldwide ECG
The person we are looking for has extensive experience in on-line or related areas, with 6+ years of full-time employment. We expect the right person to be a guide in software engineering and have good knowledge of what it means to work with large and/or distributed systems. We also believe that well-rounded developer, one needs experience with more than just one programming language.
What we’re looking for:
- Java development experience
- Some exposure to mobile application development (iOS/Android/HTML5)
- Unix / Linux
- Test driven development
- Agile methodologies
- Affinity for e-Commerce
- Preferably a degree in Computer Sciences or comparable topic
- Knowledge of alternative languages like Python
- Processing big data
What you can expect from us:
- A collaborative, informal, international and playful work environment with self-organized, multi-disciplinary agile/lean teams
- Managers and teammates who are invested in your growth as a technologist and as a person
- Work with cool modern technologies such as Scala, Java, Kotlin, Node.js, Apache Kafka, Elasticsearch, Cassandra and more in a fast-evolving Microservices architecture
- Access to tools and resources to do your job (best-in-class laptop, IDEs, Safari Online subscription, conferences and meetups, all the coffee and soda you can drink, and much more)
- Ability to join and participate in multiple internal interest groups in Marktplaats and across ECG in trending topics like Machine Learning, AI, DevOps, BigData, mobile development, and others
- Continuous Deployment through multiple environments to get rapid feedback about your work
What we offer:
Dynamic, international teams with very skilled personalities, a real passion for e-commerce, professionalism and a good sense of humor.
Silicon Valley amenities, such as iPhones and MacBook Pros, crazy high spec dev machines and very nice office facilities.
From the moment that you join our team we aspire to make your employment experience an outstanding and engaging one. If you are enthusiastic and thrive in a collaborative and friendly environment then apply and send us your CV.
We love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work.. To learn about our Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: