Java Backend Engineer
eBay Classifieds Group (eCG) is now part of Adevinta, an innovative leader in digital marketplaces spanning 17 countries. We’re all about matchmaking, and our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less.
As a global network of loved local brands, including Marktplaats in the Netherlands, mobile.de in Germany and leboncoin in France, our team of over 6,000 employees are there to make things better, safer and easier for the people who choose to visit and use our marketplaces every month. And we do that by being experts in our field, basing improvements on data and bringing together our network of talented teams.
About the team:
Being part of the Core Chat team, you will play a crucial role in providing messaging solutions for millions of buyers and sellers in 12 different markets worldwide. Every day, we process over 20 million messages. Not only is the Core Chat team responsible for making sure that these messages are delivered fast and reliable, also prevention of spam, fraud and other bad behavior is part of our responsibility. Making sure that we come up with ideas and solutions to help improve the trading experience on the platforms is another part of our mission.
- Work with your development lead, other developers, product managers, QA, and operation teams to develop solutions that meet the service requirements and deliver good performance, scalability, and reliability
- Tackle real-world technical and scaling issues on a regular basis
- Initiate design discussions, present potential solutions to your peers, and understand the true costs and benefits of technologies you introduce
- Implement a sophisticated, distributed and highly available communication service in a robust team
- Rebuild existing platform using cloud technologies
- Collaborate with other team members and engineers
- Estimate your development efforts, plan implementations, and rollout system changes within an agile/lean environment
What we are looking for:
- Passion for agile software development and continuous deployment in an autonomous environment
- 3+ years’ experience in requirements analysis, design, coding and unit testing of scalable, distributed, fault-tolerant applications for the Internet
- Several years of experience with JVM-based languages and Linux-based systems
- Solid understanding of distributed, NoSQL databases such as Cassandra
- Experience with public cloud platforms (specifically Google Cloud Platform) or big-data platforms is a big plus
- Familiarity with distributed computing and storage systems, and modern CI/CD approaches
- A flexible approach, balanced by solid experience in building a scalable service, is paramount
- Insight to see the need for changing priorities when the situation requires it and act on it
- An innovative attitude who can visualize/promote within the team about the strengths of your approach and carry your team members with you
- High aspiration for quality balanced with a good sense of pragmatism
What we offer:
- Meaningful work with diverse, international, highly skilled and passionate teams which give you the chance to make a difference in our customers’ lives.
- International career opportunities throughout Adevinta.
- Competitive compensation, conference & education budget. We value your personal and professional development.
- A healthy work-life balance, i.e. part-time work, an additional paid parental leave time, flexible working hours including working from home options.
- A great atmosphere, open-minded company culture with several social team activities (online and offline).
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, Adevinta offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
People are the heart of Adevinta, and their health and well-being are our first priority. We continue to monitor local government guidance and partner closely with medical advisors to determine the safest and best next steps for everyone. As a result, most teams are working remotely, with a few teams able to collaborate in person with enhanced safety procedures. We will discuss the particular case for your region during the interview process. As a general rule, interviews will be completed remotely over video calls.