eBay Classifieds Group (eCG)is an innovative leader in online classifieds with ten brands that span the globe. Our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities – whether it’s a job, an apartment, a sofa, a car, a concert ticket, financial services or new friends. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less. People who want to connect and trade visit our sites because they’re fun, easy to use and built on trust.
About the team:
Classifieds is shaping the future of local commerce by bringing people together through an enriched online experience that allows them to connect to the community around them. We are comprised of more than 1,000 people who are passionate for local trade and maintaining the customer-centric nature of the Group, while exploring growth opportunities in both the countries where eCG already has a presence and in prospective markets.
Marktplaats is part of the Ebay Classifieds Group(eCG), and from our Amsterdam office we serve Marktplaats.nl, 2dehands.be/2ememain.be and Gumtree.
We are an international team (26 countries!) of passionate people who share a common interest in solving problems using software and data. We invite you to join us! This is a big responsibility; you will work on high-availability servers, improve customer experience through innovation, impact revenues and advance our team and technologies. In turn, we will work with you to grow your career.
Your growth will involve our highly-performant and high-traffic systems. During peak hours, our site’s per-second throughput is OVER 1000 searches (which makes us the second most-used search engine in NL), 25K images and 4GB of data; Marktplaats handles over 1 million unique visitors, 350K new advertisements and 155K transactions daily. On an average month, we get 140 million visits, which translates into 2.5 billion page views. But our users demand more, so we are constantly evolving our platform to deliver the experience our customers love.
What you can expect from us?
- An informal, international and energetic work environment with self-organised, multi-disciplinary agile/lean teams
- Managers and teammates who are invested in your growth as a technologist and as a person
- Work with cool modern technologies such as Scala, Hadoop, Apache Spark, Elasticsearch, Apache Kafka, Cassandra, Consul, Node.js, React, Swift and Play
- Access to tools and resources to do your job (best-in-class laptop, IDEs, Safari Online subscription, conferences and meetups, all the coffee and soda you can drink, and much more)
- Ability to join and participate in multiple internal interest groups in Marktplaats and across eCG in trending topics like DevOps, BigData, mobile development, and others
- Continuous Deployment through multiple environments to get rapid feedback about your work
What we expect from you?
We are looking for is an experienced Site Operations engineer with a passion for open source products and systems automation.
What you’ll do
- Participate in the on-call support, system operations/administrations, workflow, and rotation. Recommend and implement tuning, scaling and preventive solutions.
- Manage the provisioning and operations of our infrastructure and environments. Most of our applications are on private cloud build upon OpenStack and GPC.
- Build and own the software tools and develop practices to focus on automation across provisioning, integration, and deployment focusing on self service.
- Own the instrumentation of common libraries, that enable Product Development working with our infrastructure.
- Make monitoring and alerting solutions alert on symptoms and not on outages. Let’s find issues before our customers or partners do.
- Document every action so your findings turn into repeatable actions–and then into automation.
- Install, manage and maintain large distributed database clusters, like Cassandra or CockroachDB, or large scale ElasticSearch or Kafka clusters for our search or logging needs.
- Debug production issues across multiple systems and different levels of the stack
- Lead the growth of infrastructure and automation across the board
Who you are
- Strong experience managing, maintaining, and automating infrastructure
- Deep hands on experience managing and maintaining Linux systems.
- Proficient in at least one higher order scripting language (e.g. Python)
- Strong experience automating the integration and deployment of software (e.g. Jenkins)
- Strong experience using logging and monitoring tools to improve observability across systems (e.g.(Grafana, Kibana, Prometheus, Metric Tank)
- Experience with Terraform or other configuration management systems.
- Experience with Databases (e.g. MySQL / Cassandra/ CRDB) and Middleware Infrastructure.
- Experience with on-call support tools and processes.
- Experience troubleshooting and tuning JVM-based server applications.
- Solid understanding of the TCP/IP stack, internet routing and load balancing.
- Skills: Able to identify and drive improvements to make the system more fault-tolerant and better scalable, and work cross-functionally to implement those improvements.
- Knowledge: You can practice sustainable incident response handling, and have the ability and desire to debug, and optimize code, and automate routine tasks.
- Mentality: You are open to feedback. Able to work in a fast paced environment, make quick informed decisions, take ownership, and handle pressure.
From the moment that you join our team we aspire to make your employment experience an outstanding and engaging one. If you are enthusiastic and thrive in a collaborative and friendly environment then apply and send us your CV.
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
We love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about our Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/company/diversity-inclusion/
People are the heart of the eBay Classifieds business, and their health and well-being are our first priority.
We continue to monitor local government guidance and partner closely with medical advisors to determine the safest and best next steps for everyone. As a result, most teams are working remotely, with a few teams able to collaborate in person with enhanced safety procedures. We will discuss the particular case for your region during the interview process. As a general rule, interviews will be completed remotely over video calls.
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.