DevOps Engineer iCAS
eBay Classifieds Group (eCG) is now part of Adevinta, an innovative leader in digital marketplaces spanning 17 countries. We’re all about matchmaking, and our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less.
As a global network of loved local brands, including Marktplaats in the Netherlands, mobile.de in Germany and leboncoin in France, our team of over 6,000 employees are there to make things better, safer and easier for the people who choose to visit and use our marketplaces every month. And we do that by being experts in our field, basing improvements on data and bringing together our network of talented teams.
About the team:
The First Party Advertising technology team (iCAS) is looking for a devops Engineer to strengthen the team. We are building an internally used advertising engine combined with seller tools, to deliver shopping listings to the multiple platforms we have within the eBay Classifieds Group. some of our complexities is the high traffic and volume demand, high uptime, handling click-fraud and optimising the listings being shown.
We do this through a technology stack mainly running through Go-lang based microservices, with eventing on Kafka, reporting on Clickhouse and Datastorage on MySQL. Recently we have started a project around Cockroach DB. We run these services through Nomad on our own private cloud, and we handle the dev-ops activities such as deployment (Github, Jenkins), uptime (lots of 9s), monitoring (Prometheus, Pagerduty, Grafana) and maintenance as well. Our frontend is based on NodeJS and Knockout. This stack is in constant evolution and flux to support growth as well as our own efficiency
- Up to 10K events per sec per service.
- System handling up to 9000 searches per second.
- Over 10 million live Listings
- Serving the biggest classifieds sites in CA, DE, NL and BE
- End-to-end ownership of the seller's journey, from the shop around the corner to big retail brands
Dive deep into system and application performance and reliability issues; work with engineers in the team to produce and roll out fixes and improvements.
Troubleshoot issues across the entire stack. Solve problems relating to mission critical services and build automation and monitoring to help prevent problem recurrence.
Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning. Participate in the on-call rotation.
What we are looking for:
You have excellent written and verbal communication skills. You have experience managing large websites or services within the context of a large-scale web environment. You are able to execute and deliver projects in a high-pressure environment, without sacrificing quality. You are able to show personal initiative in identifying what needs to be done. You enjoy and want to automate everything so that you can sit back and relax! Google search is your best friend and open source repos and StackOverflow are your frequent stops.
The candidate we are looking for is an experienced DevOps engineer with a passion for open source products and systems automation and an interest in getting involved with backend code.
We are looking for expertise in several of the following:
- Good programming skills in one or more of: Go, python and open to pick up new ones.
- Hands-on experience with infrastructure automation tools and orchestrators (Hashicorp stack, SaltStack, etc.)
- Expertise with monitoring frameworks (Grafana, Kibana, Prometheus)
- You feel ownership over everything you ship. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring and strong documentation.
- Working knowledge of the TCP/IP stack, internet routing and load balancing.
- You are good on your own, but shine in a team.
- Able to prioritize tasks and work independently.
- Expertise in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Expertise with Kafka and ElasticSearch
- Deep network analysis experience.
- Strong Linux system-level analysis capabilities.
- Systematic problem solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive.
- Demonstrated skill and passion for operational excellence.
- Experience with public cloud (GCP, AWS).
What we offer:
- Meaningful work with diverse, international, highly skilled and passionate teams which give you the chance to make a difference in our customers’ lives.
- International career opportunities throughout Adevinta.
- Competitive compensation, conference & education budget. We value your personal and professional development.
- A healthy work-life balance, i.e. part-time work, an additional paid parental leave time, flexible working hours including working from home options.
- A great atmosphere, open-minded company culture with several social team activities (online and offline).
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, Adevinta offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
People are the heart of Adevinta, and their health and well-being are our first priority. We continue to monitor local government guidance and partner closely with medical advisors to determine the safest and best next steps for everyone. As a result, most teams are working remotely, with a few teams able to collaborate in person with enhanced safety procedures. We will discuss the particular case for your region during the interview process. As a general rule, interviews will be completed remotely over video calls.