Data Scientist Product Insights
Marktplaats in The Netherlands, and 2dehands and 2ememain in Belgium, are part of Adevinta: a global online classifieds specialist with marketplaces in 16 regions. The three brands are hosted on a multi-tenant platform, operated from our Amsterdam location, and are the top players in the classifieds space throughout the Benelux region. We run on both Android and iOS apps, and on the web.
We offer consumers the opportunity to trade their unwanted products and contribute to a greener, circular economy. We offer businesses - of all sizes, from the smallest hobbyist to the biggest brands in Benelux - a platform to showcase their goods and services online to over 11 million monthly unique users.
Adevinta is recognised as a sustainability leader and is one of only six companies listed in the Media & Entertainment industry group on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) Europe.
About the role
How can we help buyers and sellers trust each other? What information is most important for buyers when purchasing a car? How can we measure a user’s satisfaction with a new offer?
Do these questions sound exciting? As a product insight data scientist, you will drive better user experience by formulating the right questions and then figuring how to answer them using data analysis, machine learning, modelling, and continuous experimentation.
Marktplaats is organized around multi-functional product teams which consist of product managers, business owners, UX designers, developers and marketers. The Product Analytics team supports the product teams, leading data-driven mentality and helping to build and evaluate new products.
What you’ll do
Find opportunities to improve our product by analyzing user behavior.
Design and set up experiments, recommend solutions and alternative solutions that enable us to understand where to focus our efforts.
Validate the impact we make with new initiatives.
Visualize and communicate your findings to product teams and other partners.
Work with product teams to define key experiment metrics and KPIs.
What you’ll need
Experience in an analytics or data science environment.
Strong background in statistics, computer science, econometrics, economics, or other quantitative field.
Knowledge of Python and/or R.
Proficiency working with large data sets. Good knowledge of SQL. Familiarity with Hadoop and/or Spark is a plus.
Experience working with cloud-based data tools is a plus. Experience with articulating product questions and using statistics to arrive at an answer.
Familiarity with experimentation (A/B testing)
Capable of translating analysis results into business recommendations.
Real hunger & curiosity for understanding user behavior.
Creativity, initiative and drive.
Superb communication (written/verbal) and presentation abilities in English.
Our way of working
- Meaningful Work: We are a diverse, international, highly skilled and passionate team committed to a world where people share more and waste less. Every day you will have the opportunity to make a huge difference for our users, customers as well as shape the future.
- Flexibility: We believe that work is what you do, not where you do it. So we provide mobile work and flexible hours that gives you the autonomy, and scope to set your own working patterns and agendas. We empower our teams and people to decide which key moments they want to spend face to face, instead of fixing a number of office days.
- Work-Life Balance: Our people really do come first and we have lots of options for greater work-life balance including part-time work, and additional three months fully-paid parental leave time.
- Growth and Development: We are a global organisation who truly believes in growing our people. To support this we offer lots of development and training opportunities and provide a budget for our team members.
- Competitive Compensation: We know that our people are the key to our success and our compensation packages reflect this.
- Connection and Inclusion: Our culture is the glue that holds us together. We believe in making meaningful connections and creating an inclusive atmosphere with lots of opportunities to connect both in your day to day work and through social team activities (online and offline).
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, Adevinta* offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
People are the heart of Adevinta*, and their health and well-being are our first priority. We continue to monitor local government guidance and partner closely with medical advisors to determine the safest and best next steps for everyone. We will discuss the particular case for your region during the interview process. As a general rule, interviews will be completed remotely over video calls.
eBay Classifieds Group (eCG) is now part of Adevinta, an innovative leader in digital marketplaces spanning 16 countries. We’re all about matchmaking, and our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less. As a global network of loved local brands, including eBay Kleinanzeigen in Germany, Marktplaats in the Netherlands, and leboncoin in France, our team of over 7,000 employees are there to make things better, safer and easier for the people who choose to visit and use our marketplaces every month.