Data Engineering Manager
Every month Marktplaats handles over 8 million unique visitors and 350.000 new advertisements each day making Marktplaats the largest online trading platform in the Netherlands. Consumer and professional sellers offer a large and varied assortment of used and new products. But we want to go even further - we are constantly changing our platform to deliver the experience our customers love. We are a mix of Dutch and Silicon Valley cultures; like both, we are an international team of passionate people who share a common interest in solving problems using software and data. We invite you to join us!
About the role
As the leader of the Data Engineering team, you will have significant responsibility and influence the future of data capabilities and applications in our Benelux markets. The ideal candidate will have a passion for developing talent, ability to architect quality data solutions, and work effectively with various teams.
You will lead a strong team of data engineers to develop large-scale ML and Analytics initiatives, and contribute to the transition to and operations on a cloud-based infrastructure.
The position is part of the Data org’s leadership team, influencing our data strategy and driving data-informed culture across the Benelux markets.
About the team
The Data Engineering team is part of a newly formed Benelux Data organization, which also includes the Data Science and Product Analytics teams. The team works closely with Data Science and Analytics, as well as our platform and product teams.
- Proactively drive the vision for data capabilities in Benelux markets, and define and execute on a plan to achieve that vision.
- Build and mentor a highly skilled Data Engineering team.
- Build cross-functional relationships with Data Scientists, Analysts, Product Managers and Software Engineers to understand data needs and deliver on those needs.
- Drive the design, build, and launch of new data models and data pipelines in production.
- Manage development of data resources and support new product launches.
- Drive data quality across our product domains and related business areas.
- Collaborate with counterparts across different Adevinta markets.
- 5+ years of experience in Data Engineering or related area
- Experience managing or leading engineering teams
- Experience in backend development (Scala or Python)
- Experience in data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing
- Experience using big data technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Hbase, Spark, EMR, BigQuery etc.)
- Experience working closely with Data Scientists, Machine Learning pipeline, and Analytics teams.
- Ability to manage discussions on technical topics with business stakeholders
Nice to have:
- Experience in e-Commerce or high traffic/distributed systems
- Experience in Google Cloud Platform
- Architectural experience
- Experience in building ML pipelines, ML lifecycle, CI/CD, MLOp
What we offer:
- Meaningful work with diverse, international, highly skilled and passionate teams which give you the chance to make a difference in our customers’ lives.
- International career opportunities throughout Adevinta*.
- Competitive compensation, conference & education budget. We value your personal and professional development.
- A healthy work-life balance, i.e. part-time work, an additional paid parental leave time, flexible working hours including working from home options.
- A great atmosphere, open-minded company culture with several social team activities (online and offline).
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, Adevinta* offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
People are the heart of Adevinta*, and their health and well-being are our first priority. We continue to monitor local government guidance and partner closely with medical advisors to determine the safest and best next steps for everyone. As a result, most teams are working remotely, with a few teams able to collaborate in person with enhanced safety procedures. We will discuss the particular case for your region during the interview process. As a general rule, interviews will be completed remotely over video calls.
*eBay Classifieds Group (eCG) is now part of Adevinta, an innovative leader in digital marketplaces spanning 17 countries. We’re all about matchmaking, and our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less.
As a global network of loved local brands, including Marktplaats in the Netherlands, mobile.de in Germany, and leboncoin in France, our team of over 6,000 employees are there to make things better, safer and easier for the people who choose to visit and use our marketplaces every month. And we do that by being experts in our field, basing improvements on data and bringing together our network of talented teams.